February 9, 2013

Joy Over Happiness


A consulting job!  Clients, professional, dressed up, travel, sophisticated, industries, companies, decisions, movement, power, change.  One thing you gotta know about me, I like to dream.  Big.  So in my mind, the next step has always been a job.  Money.  Nice place to live.  Reliable car.  Perhaps sporty, slick, big sunroof kinda deal. Perhaps.  But do y'all see it this way?  You get lots of money, you have lots of stuff, so you're happy?  

But, what if your lifestyle changed due to something totally out of your control?  Bad economy, sickness in your family?  What if life as you know it now … changed?  Cash…gone.  Fancy car?  Gone.  Big house?  Gone.   What would you have?  What would you cling to? 

In turbulent times, exciting or scary, what would you have peace about?  Who could you rely on?  What would define your happiness level?   Now, what if, your happiness was so sustainable that in good times and in bad, at home or far away, familiar or new, you had confidence that someone had your back?  That is what I think you would call joy. 

Joy

Found in relationships.
Between people all around you.
Guided by something, Someone, bigger than you can ever imagine.

Can you remember a time that you were truly joyful?  We all know happiness… that thing that brings a smile to your face.  Can be big and small.   For me, it’s a big, warm chocolate chip cookie, going home to Nashville, feeling my dog's absolute and unconditional love.  Big and small.  They all make me so, so happy.  But they are all temporary in some form or fashion.  After a while, that giddy, happy- go- lucky feeling fades away. 

When you feel joy, you know it.  Trust me.   It's the hope… the promise... the realization that you are so treasured, so loved - that there is something bigger, something more for you than this one, short life we all share here on earth.  What if you could live with that knowledge, that hope, everyday?  How would you change? Your actions?  Your outlook?  Your perspective?  Maybe you would change for the better.  Treasure every single day like the gift it is.  Follow those dreams.  Listen to your heart, ask yourself… What are my passions?  My purpose?  Why am I here? What am I meant to do with these amazing, unique gifts I was born with? 

Joy



No comments:

Post a Comment