February 14, 2013

Relationships

Over the last year or so, my view on relationships and marriage has definitely changed.  I used to think marriage was all about finding the right person, that the marriage is a commitment between the two of you to live happily ever after, for better or worse...  The element of sacredness, however, was not part of that equation.

Since moving to Austin, I've been blessed to know Natalie and Tory.  Together, they have started an amazing church in East Austin, The Well, and over the last year and a half Natalie has spent countless hours and many lunch breaks sharing the Gospel with me and encouraging me to pursue my faith and relationship with Jesus.  Through this discovery, my eyes have really been opened to what marriage represents in the eyes of the Church - that your marriage here on earth truly represents the relationship God has with his people and the church.  I was introduced to the idea that even in marriage, you can still love someone (God) more than you love your spouse...  That you have a more intimate relationship with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit than you do with your wife or husband.  
This is an excerpt from one of my previous writings, which paints a picture of how my perspective on mariage and relationships has evolved over time:


"I'm starting to think knowing Jesus and everything about Christianity is the foundation for a relationship in the future.
That He's preparing me for a relationship in which my heart truly loves him more than anyone one else. 
God would not only be like the foundation for the relationship, but…
 The supports: what holds us up through everything.
The window: how we see the world.
The mirror: how we see ourselves in context with the rest of the world. 
The GPS: what points us in the right direction.
And, so much more…"


If this is all new to you, have no fear!  Two videos that hands down are the best explanation of what marriage looks like in the eyes of the Church: 2 teachings from Tory, the lead pastor at The Well.  Thank goodness for technology and the ability to record messages!!  They're an hour long each, and definitely worth your time to watch.  Get your roommates, friends, boyfriend, girlfriend, and make it a movie night!  :)


For a personal account of relationships, check out my guest post on Ruthie Dean's blog, where I shared my my personal experiences and thoughts on dating:

And, one more writing on relationships with Christ and others around you.  Enjoy!

<3
Comments welcome and encouraged! 

No comments:

Post a Comment