December 4, 2013

Prayer is more Powerful than Persuasion: an Article excerpt

This excerpt is from an article written by a University President.  He reflects on the top 10 things he wishes he would have known when he was 21.  His last point stuck out to me the most:

"10. Prayer is more powerful than persuasion. In all of life, at every age, conflict is an inescapable reality. I wish I had known younger that in conflict and crisis talking to God works better than talking to people. At 21, due perhaps to youthful arrogance, I thought that I could talk my way through everything.
Self-sufficiency, a dangerous habit, breeds prayerlessness. The older I get I find that crisis drives me faster to my knees and more slowly to the phone.
I have seen God turn hearts around, change organizations and melt opposition by prayer alone—when no persuasive speech could have made a difference. If I were 21 again, I would spend more time talking with God and less (far less) persuading others to do what I want."

Self-sufficiency breeds prayerlessness.  That's funny.  One of my biggest life goals the last year has been just that - to become self-sufficient.  In fact, it seems my whole life has been preparing me for just that.  Good grades, good job, and off my parent's payroll.  I think that was one of their major life goals, too :P
So it's true.  We practice being responsible adults so we can smooth out roadbumps, manage problems, and prepare to meet goals.  Our actions of preparing for all life throws at us sets us up for being able to face and mitigate problems as they arise.
Two things:
1. Accept that God is in control.  Love that God is in control and is orchestrating an amazingly beautiful journey for you ahead.  Embrace the joy in seeing God open life doors you never even image.  
2.  Give thanks.  Say things are going great.  You're on top of everything and feeling in control.   Give thanks that God has blessed you with the resources and know-how to manage things successfully.  
I pray that the next time you face a hardship, you'll be able to open up and let God's grace and peace help soothe the pain.  Being responsible and organized certainly helps, but when it comes to the ultimate outcome, God has a firm hand on you and the situation he places you in.  

love,
heather 
ps.  God, thank you for being my constant.  For knowing me to the core.  The way I think, and strategize, and relate to people, prioritize, and am.  For knowing the things I struggle with and for knowing and helping me live out my purpose.  

1 comment: