December 7, 2012

So Big & Common Bonds


One thing that has impressed me throughout this journey is simply the sheer number of people involved.

Christianity is soooo popular here in the US - it can be quite mind blowing.  I've often wondered ... if 246 million of people call themselves Christians and are Believers, how can they all be wrong? 

 Right?   

Obviously everyone is at different points in life and have varying degrees of passion about their faith.  But I find it really interesting/impressive that so many people have felt that little itch in their heart to learn more about God and Jesus and what the whole story is all about. Think about it… 

246 million hearts. 

It feels overwhelming sometimes – how big this whole thing is.  What I also find very interesting is the variety of people involved. 

A few months back, I was at dinner with a friend of mine and some friends of hers from Mexico. They had all gone to the same church back in Mexico, and had come up to Austin for a visit.  There was a little bit of a language barrier - they spoke English, but, as is common, they were a little intimidated to use it. It was fun to practice with several of the girls sitting next to me, and once we got comfortable, we were able to share a lot more about each other’s home cities. 

The dinner table conversation was extremely lively and lots of laughs went around.  Thank you Kirby Lane Cafe for being so accommodating!:)  But, at one point in the dinner, it hit me.  These people, so very different from me, and from such a different place than me … believe in the same God that I'm learning so much about?  Weird as it may sound, it felt like we all had a common friend of sorts.  Like we were already connected even though I had just met them. 

1 comment: