March 12, 2013

The Shack


My Grandmother’s coffee table always has a new book on when I visit her J  Interestingly, this time she had just finished reading The Shack by William Young.  As I lay on her couch and stayed up late reading, I gained new insights into the Trinity.  

The meat of the book is about Mack, the main character, 'meeting God' and learning a lot through his encounter.  It's an interesting encounter... very laid back and casual, kind of like a vacation where he gets to chill at the lake house with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.  It sounds weird, I know, but it’s really cool :)  

In reading the way Mack so casually interacts and talks to God, I am struck by how well he seems to 'know' God - they talk like they are best friends.  You know those good talks, where you’re totally open and receptive, where you trust, you respect, you seek the advice and wisdom of the other person, where there is sometimes peaceful moments of quite where you’re processing and really thinking about what the other person is saying.  It’s through those talks Mack has with God that reveal God, Jesus, and the Holy Sprit in a very approachable way. 

I've known my parents for way long, and they have always been the leaders, teachers, nurturers in my life.  I have an unbelievable amount of respect for their advice and opinions.   So how do I get more in tune with God, and how does He become my ultimate leader, teacher, nurturer?  And how do relationships here, now, with friends and family, change, as I place my trust in my Godly Father?  What do I do when I live with, work with, talk with, relationship with people whose ultimate leader and teacher is not God? 

Just some things I’ll be thinking about, especially as I meet tons of new people in the coming weeks. 

In the meantime though….. just a few of the many, many amazing quotes of encouragement and truth that can be found in The Shack! J

"Mack, just like love, submission is not something that you can do, especially not on your own.  Apart from my[Jesus's] life inside of you, you can't submit to Nan, or your children, or anyone else in your life, including Papa (God)."  Pg149

"'There was no way to create freedom without a cost, as you know.'  Papa looked down, scars visible and indelibly written into his wrists.  'I knew that my Creation would rebel, would choose independence and death, and I knew what it would cost me to open a path of reconciliation.'"
 Pg 222

"Mack, if anything matters then everything matters.  Because you are important, everything you do is important.  Every time you forgive, the universe changes; every time you reach out and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will ever be the same again." Pg 235

"Faith never knows where it is being led, 
But it knows and loves the One who is leading"
~ Oswald Chambers

"Earth has no sorrow that
Heaven cannot heal."
~Author Unknown

"Oh my soul... be prepared for him
who knows how to ask questions."
~T.S. Eliot

"No matter what God's power may be, the first aspect of God 
is never that of the absolute Master, the Almighty.  It is that of the God 
who puts himself on our human level and limits himself."
~Jacques Ellul

And, of course,  some pictures of the part where Jesus talks about Mother Earth :D 



No comments:

Post a Comment