May 27, 2013

relying on You (with AC)

I've slowly recognized that I can, and am, putting my trust in God.

It's important for me to define exactly what I mean by 'putting my trust/faith in God' because... it has taken me a really long time to even begin to understand what that means in my everyday life.  It's:

  • Acknowledging an issue, problem, or thing that is worrying me/that I have to take care 
  • Then, literally telling myself: God, this is in your hands
  • Feeling a peacefulness about releasing control, and knowing deep in me that, no matter what, it's going to be OK - because no matter, God is in control.  Things may not go the way I want them to.  In fact, there could be some really bad days.  But, God is a Master at Orchestrating our lives and stories.  It's so easy to assume that tiny, narrow, zoomed-in view on our bad day or whatever may be going wrong.  But, widening our perspective - looking at the bigger picture - keeps us grounded.  Widening our perspective to include eternity ... and you begin to find the peace and joy about knowing God.  Seeing what he has in store for your life here on earth.  How the ups, downs, wrong turns, bad days, happiest days, worst mistakes, best decisions, all point back to glorifying God.  Finding peace in knowing He has a plan for your life and He is in control.  

This weekend, the AC going out in my Explorer is a tangible example of God teaching me how to trust Him.  How am I going to get it fixed?  When??  I have to work.  But it's super hot and humid.  I can't show up to work all sweaty and with wind-blown har.  And, always lingering...Is there something more important wrong with my car?  It is still reliable, safe?

Somehow, up until now, I have never felt really helpless .. in being provided for.  For the most part, I've always felt safe - like, if something were to happen, I had the people and resources around me to solve whatever problems may arise.

But, funny.. now that life (aka God) has brought me to Houston, I feel pretty much totally alone, left out there to hang dry in the hot sun.  I have extended family out here, which has been amazing and truly a blessing, but I feel just far enough away that I'm on my own.

And there is God, teaching me how to need Him.  How to seek Him, pray to Him .. how to treasure His goodness, His plan, and His presence in these situations. 

~ ~ ~

As I was driving back to Houston this afternoon .. my hair flying everywhere, the music louder than normal to overcome wind and road noise, and my legs sticking to the leather seat .. this set of songs played on the radio.  All songs I've heard countless times before, but today I was just totally moved and inspired by them that I Soundhouded the sequence on my phone.

Every Good Thing
Made to Love
Something Beautiful 
~
What a prayer answered - starting to internalize what trusting in God really means.  I feel blessed for these opportunities God is providing for me to practice putting my trust in Him, even with small things to start out with.   And, I am super blessed and thankful for Him giving me the ability to release my control, finding peace in relying on God, and ultimately, that God is .......  our one, amazing, glorious, truth-filled God that we can put our trust in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment